Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Creatives: An Interview with Laure Biron

I first met Laure well over a decade ago when she was an up and coming whip smart young artist.Today, having proven herself as a gifted photographer, artist, jewelry designer, and art educator, receiving her MFA from PAFA in 2009, Laure is just finishing up her masters in clinical social work and legal and social policy from Bryn Mawr College.  She is currently working for the City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program and Guild project in their art education program and working with 18-24 year old violent and drug parolees and probationers as their clinical social worker and intensive case manager. She is a super hero, really. Making art and saving souls.  And she does it with such grace, competence, and generosity.  






Gaby: What do you see trending now in fashion?

Laure: I see a mix of hard and soft in fashion, but so much more feminine than we saw it in the 80's and 90's;  right now I'm seeing silk blouses with leather boots with buckles, chunky rings with delicate chain bracelets, and bright color blocking in a wispy silhouette.  While the gender bending trend has definitely emerged in a big way, feminine rules in women's fashion today I think.

Gaby: When was the last time you had a fashion epiphany?

Laure: Two items really changed my routine.  For the holidays two years ago my partner bought me ballerina Louboutin flats that completely changed my perspective on high heels, of which I have always been partial to.  They have really become my go-to for most formal occasions.  The other item is my engagement ring.  I've never been a fan of diamonds and when I wear gems they're big, bold and dark in color.  Now that I have a diamond engagement ring I find myself wearing my diamond studs and other diamond and smaller gem stone rings I've inherited along the way.  

Gaby: What is your favorite High brand?  And your low brand? 


Laure: Theory is my favorite high brand for simple and serious pieces.  For Low brand I enjoy J. Crew's tissue thin cotton shirts and button downs.  I love to mix high and low- that's deinfitely a basic tenet of my daily wardrobe.  


Gaby: What is your go-to uniform for a day of work? The weekend?

 
Laure: My work uniform is a cotton t shirt with a Theory or Elie Tahari suit jacket (or a vintage boys uniform jacket for something different), skinny jeans and either Frye or Fiorentini + Baker boots.  For the weekends, my look doesn't change much.  Maybe more jewelry since I don't generally wear much to work.

Gaby: What is your favorite ILR piece and why?

Laure: I can't really just pick one, but if I was picking for today I would say the East West earrings. My partner and I are getting the Broad band as our wedding bands, so I know in 8 months I'll say that's my favorite.

Gaby: Who are your style icons?

Laure: Honestly, Gaby has always been my style inspiration.  She always gets it right with sumptuous fabrics, bold jewelry and an enviable bag and shoe collection.  As far as celebrity icons I love Jean Seberg's styling in Breathless and I think Gloria Steinam has incredible taste and personal style.  Currently I am in love with the way Halle Barry and Madonna dress too.
http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=4772423767927615966&postID=4566963896655604859

No comments:

Post a Comment